Google Drive to SharePoint Online: Lift-and-Shift or Lift-and-Optimize Migration?
When migrating data from Google Drive to SharePoint Online, enterprises and SMBs have two options:
- Replicate the files and folders structure of Google Drive in SharePoint Online
- Use the migration as an opportunity to optimize files and folder structures in SharePoint Online
This guide highlights the differences between the two types of business cloud migrations, Lift-and-Shift migration, and Lift-and-Optimize migration.
Get insights on which migration type will be the right for your company with this post. Or get a deeper understanding with the help of our migration team.
1. Lift-and-Shift Migration
Lift-and-Shift migration is the simplest option for enterprises as well as SMBs.
When taking a Lift-and-Shift approach, businesses do not have to deal with the complexities of restructuring files and folders, and rearranging user account hierarchy.
Cloud migration for small businesses, and in some cases, medium-sized businesses and even enterprises, can mean replicating the workflow of the source cloud in the destination cloud. And to ensure replication accuracy, Lift-and-Shift migration works the best.
Why take a Lift-and-Shift migration approach?
A Lift-and-Shift approach may offer the best results if your company does not have extensive and intricate Google Workspace to Microsoft 365 migration needs. Check out some of the key benefits of this migration approach:
- The quickest migration approach
- Best-suited for significant cost-savings
- Works the best for meeting short migration deadlines
- Does not interrupt workflow in the source cloud during the migration
Despite the simplicity, Lift-and-Shift migrations require proper planning. Check out this migration planning guide.
2. Lift-and-Optimize Migration
Lift-and-Optimize migration is an advanced option for businesses, especially enterprises.
When taking a Lift-and-Optimize approach, businesses have the flexibility to optimize workflows or create new workflows altogether by restructuring files/folders and user account hierarchy in the destination cloud.
With a Lift-and-Optimize approach, enterprises can make the most out of the business cloud migration by accurately optimizing business processes and overall operations in the destination cloud (Microsoft 365).
Why take a Lift-and-Optimize migration approach?
If your company has advanced and complex G Suite to SharePoint migration needs, it is a must to take a Lift-and-Optimize approach. Check out some of the key benefits of this migration approach:
- Works the best for replacing user accounts
- Helps businesses avoid post-migration work
- Helps businesses make the most out of the features of the destination cloud
- Well-suited for businesses planning to optimize internal processes in the destination cloud
From planning to execution, every stage in Lift-and-Optimize migration can be complex. Connect with our migration engineers to get help.